Home → Learning → Data Viz Catalogue
Connected scatter plot
A connected scatter plot shows the relationship between two variables (X-axis and Y-axis), but in addition the points are connected by lines, following the order of an ordinal variable.
To create a connected scatter plot:
- Link one variable (quantitative or date) to the X-axis and another to the Y-axis.
- Under 'Marks' select 'lines'.
- Choose which variable will be the ‘connection variable’ (i.e. the variable that defines the order in which the dots are connected).
- Choose the ‘start marks’ and ‘end marks’.
- For the chart to have more than one different line, link a categorical variable to 'unit' or to 'color'. The chart will have as many different lines as there are different categories for that categorical variable.
Download sample projectsample data